Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology(PGDCB)
Computational Biology is a rapidly growing field at the intersection of biology, mathematics and computer science. The Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology is a Diploma that aims to meet the educational needs of students seeking to work as computational biologists in industry, academia or government.. This course will enable the active researchers from various streams of Life sciences such as Botany, Zoology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry etc to learn the Computational Biology methods and apply them in various Research projects.
Have a basic grasp of fundamental molecular biology concepts as relevant to the Life science stream that he / she is pursuing Research
- Understand some commonly used algorithms in bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Know algorithms to compute sequence alignments and how these are applied in current research
- Understand the statistical and algorithmic approach for detecting cell types from single-cell expression data of thousands of cells
- Have an understanding of how tissue slides are imaged with high throughput
- Understand basic problems in the processing and analysis of tissue images and some standard solutions to those
- Be able to apply image analysis and machine learning to real-world computational pathology problems
- The Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology (PGDCB) is a One-year
program designed with the primary goal of imparting a uniquely broad, yet
intensive Bioinformatics / Computational Biology education of the highest academic
- This is achieved through an integrated curriculum that consists of a highly diverse
set of Bioinformatics / Computational Biology courses, interdisciplinary
Bioinformatics / Computational Biology research projects, continuous interaction
with industry, and personality development courses.
- Computational Biology is fundamentally about the application of computer-based
approaches to the understanding of biological processes.
- The aim of the Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology (PGDCB) program
is to produce researchers for the Bioinformatics / Computational Biology industry
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology (PGDCB) at St Aloysius College
has been passed in the academic council in the year 2011.
- The core subjects like Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Proteomics, Genomics,
Cell and Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Systems Biology ensure that students
have a sound footing in the Bioinformatics / Computational Biology fundamentals. It also
prepares them for advanced study in areas of their interest.
- This programme will enable the students to work at the Center for Bioinformatics (BIF )
supported by the Dept of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of
India, New Delhi
Candidates who have passed the three year B.Sc. degree examination of Mangalore University or any other university considered as equivalent thereto are eligible for the programme with a minimum of 50% (45% SC/ST/Category-I candidates) in aggregate excluding languages and Group III subjects provided they have studied Chemistry/ Biology either at the degree level or least at Pre University. Selection of candidates shall be on merit-cum-reservation on the basis of 50:50 weightage for marks in the entrance and qualifying examination